A Feis for Covid times!
As you can imagine, we have had to plan for a very different scenario in order to bring you a Feis in 2021. Please read on to see some of the changes and innovations we are working towards:
- Unfortunately, there will be no choir, orchestra or conducting competitions, nor piano duets (two-piano competitions will still go ahead).
- Ensembles will be limited to a maximum of 4 competitors.
- In competitions which require props, those props will have to be managed by the competitor(s) themselves.
- All performances will be live in our venues, i.e. no recorded submissions will be sought or accepted.
- All attendees, including competitors will be required to wear masks, which may be removed for the duration of their warm-up and performance only.
- Please note: there will be no recalls. Therefore, in competitions where a second piece is normally performed on recall only, both pieces will be required to be performed consecutively. This does not apply to competitions where a final takes place on a different day of the festival.
- Some adjudicators will be present in person, and some may be Zoomed in (depending on travel restrictions in March).
- Allocated competition ballot times will be managed in such a way that there will be no congregating either before or after competitions.
- There will be limited warm-up spaces, marked out in line with social distancing requirements, which competitors can avail of immediately before their performance only.
- As competitors will not be able to remain on site until the end of a competition, adjudications and prize announcements will be recorded and uploaded to view on our website at a pre-appointed time.
- Cups and medals can then be collected by appointment from the Feis Ceoil office at the RDS.
- Mark sheets will be emailed to competitors.
- Certificates will be emailed in pdf format for printing.
- If it is not possible to have audiences present, we will allow up to two people to accompany the competitor, either from the same household, or one from the household and one other (i.e. teacher) at the requisite social distance.
- We will live-stream certain competitions for public viewing.
There will be a Gala concert, but not until towards the end of 2021, when we will hopefully be able to have an audience in the National Concert Hall.
I know this will all feel very strange this year, but fingers crossed that by 2022 we will be able to return to a more ‘normal’ style of Feis! Your patience and forbearance with us will be very much appreciated as we delve into uncharted territory… It will be an adventure!
If you have any questions regarding specific competitions, please do not hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Needless to say, if and as things change, we will keep you updated, so do keep an eye out here for further information.
We are very much looking forward to seeing you in March!